Skip to main content

CHATTY CATHYS AND MORE........................................

"It is a great thing to know the season for speech and the season for silence."
Seneca



Have you ever known anyone who must constantly be talking.  You know the one's we lovingly call "chatty Cathys".  It seems as though they can't stand one moment of silence.

"Say nothing unless it improves upon the silence"
the Buddha (I think)

Which brings to mind a thought.....If we must always be talking or thinking of what we are going to want to say next...How can our mind's ever be at rest?  How can we ever be in the present?


When Brad and I travel across this beautiful country of ours....as we are doing now.....there are often long stretches of silence.

Sometimes I'll look at him and ask "What are you thinking?"  More often than not his reply is this "I'm not thinking.....I'm driving...when I drive.... I drive."

"I have often regretted my speech.......never my silence."
Pullilus Syrys

We both just may become "enlightened" yet!
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Hugs,

Jo

Comments

  1. Oh gosh, yes. As if it isn't bad enough to have four people sharing a cubicle at work, one has to be a Chatty Kathy. Grrrr!!!! As if the place isn't noisy enough.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is much to be said for silence. There are silences that are comfortable and then there are silences that need to be filled. As for Chatty Cathy -- I had that doll when I was a little girl and she drove my parents crazy (read, I drove them crazy by pulling that chain...) until the day my dog got hold of the chain and it broke. Chatty Cathy was silenced forevermore!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. People who talk constantly wear me out. Silence is indeed golden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think some of my best ideas came to me while I was quiet. There is something to be said for "the sound of silence".

    xo,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..unfortunatly yes, I know more than one and with the time I understood that people who talk and talk and talk believe only for theirself and when you need some help they will not be available...they are present only for theirself to put outside their mood and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find the older I get, the more I like quiet! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have to deal with a few chatty cathy's @ work
    too! i think i used to be a cc when i was much younger...with age i'm happier to be the quiet one :D less chance of sticking my foot in my mouth!!! good post today sweet friend...hope you're enjoying the ride across the country!
    BEAR HUGS
    ~victoria~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think people who talk all the time and are never quiet don't want to be silent because then they would have to listen to their inner voice. Probably won't like what they hear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An Australian friend here who moved back to Australia this summer was one of those types and her stories got bigger and grander the more she talked.

    When I go to school in the morning, I head straight to my office where I check my school emails, then personal ones, and then get to work while there are a few others who sit and chat for 30-45 minutes -- I can't do that.

    The older I get, the more I crave silence. Peace and quiet. When hubby and I are together, we don't always talk, especially in the car, or when we go out to eat. I see everyone else talking and talking and talking, and I wonder, is there something wrong with us? Sometimes it is nice to just BE!

    Have a beautiful day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. We travel a lot. Sometimes we accumulate hours of silence. There have been times during a long period of silence that Michael will ask me what I am thinking about. I will usually say that I am thinking about a recipe. Then I ask him what he is thinking about. He likes to say that he is wondering about what I will make for dinner. Then we laugh and return to silence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The relief I feel when I arrive home in the evening and there is silence...well, what a relief! No phone, no one standing in from of my desk asking for something, no one calling my name as I walk through an office...nope, at home, just the sound of the refrigerator running and the ice maker dropping a tray of ice into the bucket every now and then. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah...silence can be golden. There is a line in a song by Pink that goes..."I don't want to be the girl that has to fill the silence".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jo,

    I love my moments of silence!
    Lots of hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post! Moments of silence are precious and so important. I loved all the quotes you chose for this post.

    Have a lovely weekend,
    Serena

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post Jo..beautiful quotes and cute story! I love silence..and need it to feel balanced..and practice it often..it has brought alot of harmony into my life!It is powerful in so many ways!
    V~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am reading the Ragged Edge of Silence by John Francis. It is very interesting and will give you pause to think and listen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the sound of silence! The Chatty Cathy's need to yak all the time is something I've never understood. I'm a quiet person myself...most of the time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Haven't posted since 2021

Goodness...........I haven't opened my blog or posted since December of 2021.  Don't know if I will start blogging again as I don't like to use Google for anything.....but who knows. Guess if I want to put my thoughts on paper Google will be necessary. We will see what happens. Stay well.....✋

TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY......I'M GOING TO HAVE A WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY MONTH!!!

I turn 67 today.....and actually I feel better as the years accumulate.  Since I've gotten older I actually have decided that I will celebrate each day during the month of October...just being grateful for being healthy and alive.   I hope each one of you who follow this little blog of mine celebrate each day along with me.... Here are some of the things I have planned for my birthday month: 1.  Listing our current home the end of the first week in November.  We are pretty excited to be moving into a little smaller spot as it means less work and maintenance.  We just want to be able to live more and work less.  Although we still have not found our new spot.....we know it is out there.   2.  Taking a 15 day cruise on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Budapest.  We will visit 5 countries along the way.  One of the stops will be in the place I was born....Nuremberg, Germany.  My  family  left Germany right...

" I AM ROOTED....BUT I FLOW". Virginia Woolf

2020..can you believe it?  With each passing year I am more amazed that I am still here.   Both my parent's died very young and if genetics prove correct sometimes one can have the same fate.  Anyway....I digress. At the beginning of each new year I always find myself wondering what this particular year has in store.  With advanced age you can almost always depend on little surprises here and there.  Your life can be bumping along and then suddenly everything changes in the blink of an eye.  Your health changes, your finances change, family troubles, death of loved ones...the list goes on and on. Instead of making any resolutions for this upcoming year....I have promised myself that I will embrace any and all change with thoughtful consideration.  No panic attacks, no jumping into immediate action, no needless worrying about things I cannot control. I know that is a tall order because being human we...