Skip to main content

A LITTLE FURTHER ALONG...........THE WOMEN OF YESTERDAY......


I'm a little further along with this piece.  Still need to make a few little changes in the upper right hand corner of the hat and a little more to the background...but thought I would show you my progress.

I've chosen to name this piece THE WOMEN OF YESTERDAY.....even though it is fairly contemporary in style. I love period piece movies and have been watching quite a few lately.  What has struck me so vividly is how limited women of years past led their lives.  They had to be careful how they acted lest they be labeled insane. Often times they led lives filled with fear and despair. They couldn't speak their views when they pleased and were oftentimes mated with less than desirable mates who were both verbally and physically abusive. Although there does appear to be plenty of the above in the world of today.

I certainly don't paint for anyone but myself.....mainly to express my feelings
Thanks for letting me share this with you.....It was a fun piece to paint...and should be finished in the next day or so.

My wonderful grandson is here with us this weekend....so it will be a weekend filled with Tom and Jerry Cartoons. LOL

Have a wonderful day dear friends,

Jo

Comments

  1. Hi Jo this is a powerful piece... poetic and beautiful..very inspiring! Shine on!
    I so love you are sharing your art !!! Hugs fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those haunted eyes, and the butterfly covered mouth, gave me a queasy feeling. I was right. That's what you meant to convey.

    "...how limited women of years past led their lives. They had to be careful how they acted lest they be labeled insane. Often times they led lives filled with fear and despair."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your beautiful art with us JO!!
    You have lots of talent! Wish I could paint.

    Enjoy your grandson this weekend!!

    Pamela xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Women have always led difficult lives -- how wonderful to honour their struggles in your art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This painting is so powerful. What amazing talent you have. Enjoy the time with your. grandson.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your painting - and I am so glad you are enjoying your time with the grandson.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your painting speaks volumes and touches my very soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see more of your work! I love your style, color choice and the feelings you capture. Beautiful work!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog! It's so nice to meet you!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. JO!!! I had NO idea that you were an artist! Isn't it fun to paint or create for YOURSELF? Perhaps that is a form of silence to bask in. Thank you dearest for visiting me today; we had a lovely day, with warmer temperatures in the 30s...a heatwave for us! Blessings to you ma chère amie! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you haven't already, ( I didn't look) you should go visit Mary's blog I AM WOMAN...it's on my blog roll. Pretty powerful stuff she tells.
    Love that painting too. Auntie's right...it's
    hauntingly beautiful...but I didn't get queasy:)

    Hope you had a fun grandbabe weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors are wonderful and I can feel your expression when I look at your picture.

    I love the fact you used butterflies to represent the inner thoughts of this woman. Butterflies wanting to be free.

    Great job Jo!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Haven't posted since 2021

Goodness...........I haven't opened my blog or posted since December of 2021.  Don't know if I will start blogging again as I don't like to use Google for anything.....but who knows. Guess if I want to put my thoughts on paper Google will be necessary. We will see what happens. Stay well.....✋

TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY......I'M GOING TO HAVE A WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY MONTH!!!

I turn 67 today.....and actually I feel better as the years accumulate.  Since I've gotten older I actually have decided that I will celebrate each day during the month of October...just being grateful for being healthy and alive.   I hope each one of you who follow this little blog of mine celebrate each day along with me.... Here are some of the things I have planned for my birthday month: 1.  Listing our current home the end of the first week in November.  We are pretty excited to be moving into a little smaller spot as it means less work and maintenance.  We just want to be able to live more and work less.  Although we still have not found our new spot.....we know it is out there.   2.  Taking a 15 day cruise on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Budapest.  We will visit 5 countries along the way.  One of the stops will be in the place I was born....Nuremberg, Germany.  My  family  left Germany right...

" I AM ROOTED....BUT I FLOW". Virginia Woolf

2020..can you believe it?  With each passing year I am more amazed that I am still here.   Both my parent's died very young and if genetics prove correct sometimes one can have the same fate.  Anyway....I digress. At the beginning of each new year I always find myself wondering what this particular year has in store.  With advanced age you can almost always depend on little surprises here and there.  Your life can be bumping along and then suddenly everything changes in the blink of an eye.  Your health changes, your finances change, family troubles, death of loved ones...the list goes on and on. Instead of making any resolutions for this upcoming year....I have promised myself that I will embrace any and all change with thoughtful consideration.  No panic attacks, no jumping into immediate action, no needless worrying about things I cannot control. I know that is a tall order because being human we...