Skip to main content

FINALLY GO AROUND TO POSTING A LITTLE CHRISTMAS JOY................................






I certainly don't do as much Christmas decorating as I used to when I was younger.  In fact, since my son passed Christmas is always a bittersweet time for our family.  


But this year it has been easier to get in a festive mood, so we got out all the old Christmas things and tried to use them in new ways.  The above wreath is decorated with clear bulbs that my sweet grandson and I tie-dyed to be pink in color.  They turned out lovely and I was able to use them in this old wreath.  I have it mounted on an old bird stand and it is proudly displayed in our living room.


Our tree is only about three and a half feet tall and it sits on a desk and the end of our main room in the house.  My sweet sister in law gave me a Christmas book a few years back with all kind of handmade papers and cards.  This year I took it apart and used it to decorate my little tree.  


When you retire and live on a fixed income it is not possible to go out and buy new each Christmas so I reuse things each year.  Besides......Brad and I don't need anymore stuff....I'm trying to get rid of stuff I have....not acquire more.


I laid my mom's high-school autograph book and my ex-husbands old social studies book at the base of the tree.  I like including things from people who have passed on in my Christmas scheme.


Old Christmas things I have made in years past decorate our little table as well.  Just looking at these things bring back so many wonderful memories of Christmases during my lifetime.


By using personal items of people I love it seems as though they could be right here with me celebrating the holiday.

We always have an amaryllis and this one looks like it will grow to reach the sky before it blooms. haha....


Here is another wreath I made years ago and I simply put a Christmas post card in the middle and changed the look a bit.


I have a large collection of nut crackers I have managed to collect over the years.  The above are the Three Kings, they really are my favorites.  I just don't have room to display my collection so I put out what pleases me and spread it out all through the house.


An old Santa head the was broken from the body was put onto an old bed spring and made as a decoration in one of the bathrooms.

Silly things that make me smile.....after all isn't that what the holidays should  be.  Smiles and laughter and love spread all around.

Merry Christmas to you.

xo

Jo 







Comments

  1. Your house is beautifully decorated as always! I like the wreaths and nutcrackers in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly do envy you your talent for putting every day items together to form a beautiful creation. Your home is so beautiful. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 🎄Oh, Jo! It's PERfect! Yes, seasons of life come and go. Your Christmas decor this year reflects what you cherish and carry in your heart all year... Like you, we don't need One. More. Thing. 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that you have lost a son:(

    I do want to say that I love the way you incorporate old with new.
    A heartfelt Christmas post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I love this Christmas post more than any I've seen this year -- and I've seen a lot. You're doing it so right -- surrounding yourself with things you love, memories of the past (the good and the sad), and so very much loveliness, my breath caught with ever new photo. Those transparent lights made me gasp, they were so lovely, and I adored how you did the tree with the pieces from the book you had. The autograph book, that gorgeous ornament wreath, the beautiful displays -- they are wonderful and warm and tell your story. I needed this today.

    I know how hard Christmas is when you are missing someone who you loved so much as your son. Grief takes its old sweet time, doesn't it? But I'm glad you were able to see a little more light this season and I can tell it is reflected in your beautiful home. Sending loads of love, cyber hugs and good thoughts for a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the vintage you have used...it's not old---like us, it's Vintage...LOL. And right in style...Hope you have a Merry Christmas---looks like you have a wonderful home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a beautiful job decorating your home with love at this special time of the year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY......I'M GOING TO HAVE A WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY MONTH!!!

I turn 67 today.....and actually I feel better as the years accumulate.  Since I've gotten older I actually have decided that I will celebrate each day during the month of October...just being grateful for being healthy and alive.   I hope each one of you who follow this little blog of mine celebrate each day along with me.... Here are some of the things I have planned for my birthday month: 1.  Listing our current home the end of the first week in November.  We are pretty excited to be moving into a little smaller spot as it means less work and maintenance.  We just want to be able to live more and work less.  Although we still have not found our new spot.....we know it is out there.   2.  Taking a 15 day cruise on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Budapest.  We will visit 5 countries along the way.  One of the stops will be in the place I was born....Nuremberg, Germany.  My  family  left Germany right after the war...when I was quite young.  Memories are almos

PUTTING ON MY GYPSY SHOES......................

Bo Bunny Paper Collection Well.......the coach is packed...the laundry done in the condo....and we will be on our way tomorrow. I often do feel like a gypsy moving from one spot to another....and each year my gratitude grows as I am able to continue this lifestyle. I truly would love to "do up" my coach in Gypsy Style...but alas....not too practical as things probably would be flying all over as we traveled down the road.  (O: But.....a girl can dream.....can't she? ~~~ My suitcase is packed with memories To be opened further down the road When my caravan must be halted The bag waits to be opened Stories to be told and shared Like the gypsy's of so long ago But for now....the wheels keep turning And my case grows larger still Waiting for the day..I must be stopped   And my heart, to the brim, will be filled Hugs from me to you, Jo Gypsy photos:  Electric Gipsyland on Flickr

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS

This is a picture of our little tree this year.  Each year our trees seem to be smaller, a function of our getting older and just wanting to deal with less stuff.  I'm sure a few of you feel them same.  Although it does seem to be a little weird that we want to deal with fewer Christmas decorations and give each other MORE STUFF in the way of presents under the tree.   Ahhh...being human is such a quandary sometimes!                                          MERRY CHRISTMAS                                                          Jo